Sunday, May 15, 2016

Members Coming to Us.

This topic really touched me in class this week, and I apologize if I don't have a great deal of data to back me up here, because it's not actually facts.

I read "The Costs of Getting Ahead: Mexican Family System Changes After Immigration"
by Martica L. Bacallao and Paul R. Smokowski and I didn't quite understand the significance of the study other than understanding the sad story of a Mexican family trying to find a better life. However, in class Brother Williams did a role-playing exercise to help us better understand what actually happened to this family.

What touched me the most was Brother Williams' testimony. He mentioned that he had a testimony that many immigrants don't know exactly why they should be moving to The United States, but that he believed the Spirit was guiding them there to have better access to the gospel. When he said this, I broke down because of the love I could feel from my Heavenly Father and the love He has for every single child of His. He's prompting these families to endure these almost-impossible hardships in order to bring them the greatest happiness (eternal life).

My takeaway from the lesson is this: I need to be more charitable and considerate toward my fellow men. People are on their eternal path of progression home and I need to be aware of that and do everything I can to bring them there. I think we can all take a moment when we're dealing with this immigration issue, and examine it from a doctrinal standpoint. (1) have we prayed about it? and (2) we can bring the gospel to more people if they're in the United States. These are my thoughts and I think this is a worthwhile idea to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment